Sunday, July 26, 2009

Lucy's Birth Story

At 3:45am, my water broke. I did a relaxation script then we packed our things and waited for contractions to start. They didn't. I called the Doctor around 8:00 and we decided we'd go to the hospital around 10:00 if labor still didn't start on it's own.

When Ryann woke up, we celebrated Lucy's birthday by having cupcakes for breakfast. (I had made them the night before just in case.) We sang happy birthday LOTS of times and then Ryann opened a present. We gave her a Waterbaby who is now named Elizabeth or "Lizbeth." Ryann stayed with Grandpa Marsh all day while we went to the hospital.

I was started on Oxytocin (pitocin) around 12:00. I used the birth ball, the music and scripts, and had Randy read to me from Warbreaker (a new Brandon Sanderson book) to keep me distracted. I tried to be aware of my breathing and relax but it was hard to get comfortable with the IV. When the "surges" got closer together, longer, and more intense, I decided to scratch the birth plan and get an epidural. I think the nurse was the one most disappointed. I just felt happy to be numb and no longer worried about the whole thing. Lucy was born easily with no tearing (and maybe even no pushing since I couldn't feel a thing) at 5:30. She weighted 6 lbs 5 oz and was 19 inches. (Ryann was 8 lbs 6 oz 21.5 inches.)









Ryann squeeled at every little movement Lucy made. She absolutely LOVES her tiny little baby sister.








Her middle name is after Ilene Olsen one of our favorite family friends.


p.s. Yes that is red hair! =D

12 comments:

  1. Oh she's precious!! Congrats on a great looking baby! I'm jealous that your water actually broke. I always wanted that to happen. My babies are just too stubborn I guess. I'm so glad Ryann likes her little sister. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her and I love you and congratulations all around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! We are so excited for you. Ryann will be a great big sister. We hope you are all doing well and resting. What an exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would just love to hold her!!! She is so adorable. I LOVE the picture of Ryann holding her. SO CUTE!!!! CONGRATS you guys. Good luck on a good recovery and adjustment! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! Congrats again! I love the pictures. It looks like Lucy has a proud daddy and big sister. That was such a great idea you guys had to make cupcakes and celebrate her birthday that morning. I wish I had thought to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!! Lucy is beautiful! So is Ryann! I am glad that she came earlier than you thought (and I voted for later too). Happy Birthday Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hip Hip Hurray! She's adorable and I can't wait to meet her in person. Ryann looks so cute in the picture.
    What can I do to help?
    I was wondering if we can take Ryann to the zoo on Thursday night? It's not official yet, but with our pass they do a party once a year for "pass people" with crafts and stuff. It gets over between 8-9. I'll call you, but be thinking about it.
    Okay, SUPER CUTE BABY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baby Lucy looks just like her daddy in that picture of them together. She is adorable. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And there she is! Wow, she is truly beautiful. Congratulations! We'd love to take Ryann for a picnic in the park one day. So glad everything went well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Katy congratulations!!! I haven't been online lately to check blogs and here you are with a baby and at home and loving it. I'm so glad that Ryan is handling everything so well and that the baby is sleeping well for you and everything. I'm really happy for you. She looks adorable and so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Katy,
    This is Sam Pont, from the ward. Congratulations!!! I happened to come accross your blog thru a friend of a friend. She is beautiful and I'm glad everything went okay. My blog is private but if you send me your email to sampha04@hotmail.com I'll send you an invite
    P.S. Honestly if you need any help with Ryann I know my little Brookie would love to play with her. Congrats again, she's beautfiul!

    ReplyDelete